Lodwick Brandt, Sr was born March 1, 1747 (Bible records) probably in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and died about 1828 in Perry County, Ohio. He was the son of Martin Brandt and Anna Margareta Kroner. Source of this information is the Brandt family Bible.
Among all the researching and records I have found there are several spellings of his name: Lodwick, Ludwig, Lewis, Ludwick and Brand/Brant/Brandt.
Ludwig’s wife was named Mary but I do not have proof of her surname although many researchers believe her maiden name to be Byers. I have more information on my website about Ludwig and Mary Brandt.
They had two children: Ludwig, Jr. born about 1789 and Mary born about 1779. Mary married Jacob Mohler; after his death she married John Caine. Ludwig Jr. (also known as Lewis Brandt, Jr) married Sally Mohler.
Check my website for land records.
My sister and I found Ludwig’s signature on this receipt while we were on a research trip years ago to Ohio. The courthouse let us go to the upper rooms to look through the boxes of documents. I was really happy to find this showing our 4th great grandpa’s handwriting on such an early document. Scroll down to see another document with signature.
These receipts are in connection to the guardianship of Jacob and Martin Mohler. Martin and Jacob’s father, Jacob Mohler, Sr., died before 1805 and since they were still young children the court appointed a guardian. Their mother was Elizabeth Brandt Mohler Caine.
Timeline for Ludwig Brandt:
- 1775 – List of Deputies, January 4, 1775 – Deputies attending the meeting at Carlisle, Pennsylvania; supporting the Continental Congress in September 1774. Others listed with Ludwig that might be connected with our family include: John Byers, John Montgomery and William Rannells.
- 1777 – Revolutionary War Record Card; Militia; Cumberland Co, 3rd Battalion, 4th Co, 5th Class; 1777-1780
- 1778 – Apr 25; Cumberland County, PA Oaths of Allegiance
- 1778 – in tax list, owned 95 acres in Allen twp, Cumberland Co, Pa; single male; 4 horses 2 cows
- 1779 – in tax list, owned 260 acres Allen twp, Cumberland Co, Pa. — single male; 3 horses, 5 cows
- 1780 – in tax list, owned 214 acres Allen twp, Cumberland Co, Pa–single male; 3 horses, 4 cows
- 1780 – Private, 3rd Battalion, 4th Co, Allen twp Militia, Revolutionary War, service under Col. Saml Erwin.
- 1781 – in tax list, owned 234 acres in Allen twp, Cumberland Co PA- single male 3 horses, 4 cows
- 1782 – owned 134 acres in Allen twp, Cumberland Co. PA — single male, 3 horses, 4 cows
- 1785 – in tax list, owned 240 acres in Allen twp, Cumberland Co. PA — single male, 4 horses, 4 cows
- 1790 – Census Pennsylvania–Lodwick is listed, p. 83
- 1798 – Census Pennsylvania -200 acres, pine land and house in Cumberland Co, PA
- 1806 – in tax list of Fairfield Co, Greenfield twp, Ohio
- 1807 – July 8 -Vol. F, page 217 – Fairfield Co, Ohio — Ludwick of Fairfield Co, Ohio bought the 147 acres of Adam Brandt of Allen twp, Cumberland Co. PA which Adam patented in 1806.
- 1808 – in Ohio State tax list – Fairfield County, Ohio – no township is listed-( Index to Ohio Tax Lists, 1800-1810, Ronald Jackson )
- 1809- Oct 14- Will of Lodwick’s father, Martin Sr. –“Son, Ludwig is to have land which testator purchased from his son, Adam, near new Lancaster.”
- 1811 – Sept, 1; Received land patent for land in Perry Co, Ohio (S14, R16, T16)
- 1812 – November 17 – Vol. I, page 137 – Louis Brand and his wife Mary sold to John Murray Lot No. 7 in the town of Middletown.
- 1816/1817 – Lewis (Lodwick) is listed as a citizen and voter in Perry Co, Ohio, Reading twp. (History of Perry Co)
- 1816 – Fairfield co, Ohio Tax List; shown with 160 acres; tax is $2.40
- 1817 – Fairfield co, Ohio Tax List; shown with 160 acres; tax is $2.40
- 1817 – June 13 – Vol. K page 384 – Louis Brand and his wife Mary of Fairfield Co. Ohio, sells 40 acres to David Beckwith which was the land that Louis had patented in 1811.
- 1818 – Fairfield Co. Ohio Tax List: shown with 160 acres; tax is $1.60
- 1819 – Tax list of Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio; 120 acres; total tax is 1.20
- 1820 – Census Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio– Lodwick and family listed next door to his son and to John Caine, Sr. and Patrick Caine
- 1820 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax list; 140 acres; total tax is $2.10
- 1821 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List; 160 acres; total tax is $1.35
- 1822 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List;120 acres; total tax is $1.80
- 1823 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List; 160 acres; total tax is $1.80
- 1824 -shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List; 160 acres; total tax is $1.80
- 1825 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List; 160 acres; total tax is $1.80
- 1826 – shown in Perry Co, Reading twp, Ohio Tax List; 120 acres; value including houses, $333; total tax $3.49
- 1822 – July 26; Last will & Testament, Reading twp, Perry Co, Ohio
- 1828 – Apr 8 – Vol Q, page 197 – Ludwick Brandt and Mary his wife sold 147 acres to Jacob Brandt– all of Fairfield Co. Ohio. This is the land the Ludwick bought from Adam Brandt in 1807.
Below is an indenture from Perry County, Ohio Courthouse: Vol. C, page 247; November 7, 1827. Ludwig Brandt’s estate indenture that gives his daughter, Elizabeth Brandt Mohler Caine, 25 acres of land that Ludwig’s Last Will and Testament gave her. For the typed transcription see my website here.