A timeline is an easy way for me to collect information and see at a glance where or when an event occurred in the life of my ancestor.
John Caine is my great-great-great-grandpa. The line back to him is: Charles Ray Cain, Samuel Gilbert Cain, Lewis P. Cain, John Caine. I have source proof on my family back to John Caine but not any further.
I believe that Patrick Caine is the father of John Caine but I have no proof. James Caine, Sr is another mystery but I do believe that he is John Caine’s brother.
If you have any knowledge about these Cain families I would love to hear from you!
- 1794- approx. birth year; born in Pennsylvania per census records
- 1815- July 6; Vol. B, p.92– married Elizabeth Brandt Mouler in Fairfield Co. Ohio
She is the daughter of Lodwick Brandt, Sr and Mary Byers. Her first marriage
was to Jacob Mouler/Mohler; he died about 1805.
- 1816- January 27, son, Lewis Cain born; probably named after his grandfather Ludwig/Lodwick Brandt as Lewis is the English name for Ludwig.
- 1819- son, James Cain born- Perry Co, Ohio
- 1820- Perry County, Reading twp census; John Cain age16-26; 3 males age under 10;
1 male 10-16; 1 female under 10; 1 female 26-45; 1 in agriculture. Living next
door to Lewis Brant Sen. and Patrick Cain.
- 1822- son, Isaiah Cain born
- 1822- July 26; mentioned in his father-in-law’s (Lodwick Brandt) last will and testament: daughter, Elizabeth, receives 25 acres, NW qtr of Sec. 14, twp 16, Range 16,
of Perry Co; lists her children (Mary Eliza Louis James John and Isaiah);
- 1826- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 2 horses and 2 cattle
- 1827- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 1 horses and 1 cattle
- 1827- Nov. 17; wife Elizabeth receives 25 acres from will of her father (Lodwick Brandt and John receives 66 1/3 cents.
- 1828- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 2 horses and 2 cattle
- 1830- Perry County, Reading twp census; p. 437: John Cain, age 30-40 years;
2 males 5-10; 2 males 10-15; 1 female 15-20(probably Eliza);
1 female 20-30 (probably Mary Mohler); 1 female 40-50(Elizabeth Brandt Cain).
Patrick Cain doesn’t live next door—he has moved to Bearfield Twp, Perry Co.
- 1830- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 2 horses and 2 cattle
- 1830 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1831- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 2 horses and 2 cattle
- 1832 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1832- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 1 horses and 1 cattle
- 1833 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1833- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 2 horses and 1 cattle
- 1834- Perry Co Personal Property Tax List; Reading twp.; 1 horses and 1 cattle
- 1834 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1835 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1836 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1837 – Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1838– Perry Co, Reading twp, Real Estate Tax List; R16, T16, S14; NW 25 acres
- 1840- Perry County, Reading twp census; John Cain, age 40-50 years; 1 male
- 10-15; 1 male 15-20; 1 male 20-30;1 female 20-30 (Eliza); 1 female 50-60 (Elizabeth) (Eliza probably died 1840-1850 since she rec’d no land from Ludwig) James Cain (John and Elizabeth’s son) lives next door.
- 1846- Plat Map, Reading twp, Perry Co, OH – John Cain has 25 acres.
- 1850- Ohio Mortality Schedule, page 33, lists Elizabeth Cain, Perry Co, Ohio, died in June at age of 71 years, place of birth was Pennsylvania; cause of death was unknown; no occupation listed.
- 1850- January 18; the 25 acres sold to James Cain by heirs of Elizabeth Cain
- 1850- Perry County, Reading twp census, page 354; John Cain living with son James and his family. John Cain is age 50 (although the census is very faint and difficult to read) and is a laborer. Wife, Elizabeth Brandt Cain is not listed.
- 1853- Sept 12; marriage filed in Vinton Co for John and Elizabeth Monroe.
- 1853- December 8; John married Elizabeth Monroe in Vinton County Ohio. Don’t know why John moved to Vinton County. James Cain, Sen. moved there also but why.
- 1855- January 20; Vol 5, page 119; John and Elizabeth (Monroe) Cain bought land in Vinton Co. from Elijah W. and Ruth Furry; R17-T11-S1; 20 acres.
- 1860- Vinton County, Elk twp, census; page 322: John Cain, age 56, farmer, $300 value in real estate and $60 personal property, born PA; Elizabeth, age 64, born VA; Sarah A. Monroe, age 18, servant; William H. Oshal, age 1. note: John Cain’s age is probably turned around as he should be about age 65. Sarah Monroe is probably Elizabeth’s daughter from previous marriage. Don’t know who William Oshal belongs to. This Elizabeth is John’s second wife, Elizabeth Monroe.
- 1870 – Census, Vinton Co, Ohio, Elk twp, page 29, June 21, 1870: Elizabeth Kane,age
- 72, female, keeping house, value real estate $150, born VA; Henry O’Neil, age 10, male, at home, born Ohio, neither can read or write.
- 1874- March 26; Elizabeth Monroe Cain sold her share of the land to David McQuade 10 acres; undivided half of the south half of the SW qtr of the SW qtr of S.1, T11, R17.
- 1880- March 7; Vol. 20, page 430. John’s share of the land was sold to pay taxes by the Auditor of Vinton County; ‘for the taxes, interest and penalty charged for the year 1876 and also the simple tax for the year 1877’. 10 acres sold to David McQuade as came to the sale and paid the taxes and penalties. The undivided half of the south half of the NW qtr of the NW qtr of S1, T11, R17. Note: the deed in the Vinton County Courthouse says ‘Joseph Cain’ but all the deed books had been recopied in past years and was apparently copied incorrectly.
- 1880- Census:Vinton County, Elk twp, census; Elizabeth Monroe Cain was listed as an inmate of the Vinton County Infirmary; age 83, widowed, born VA.
- 1760-1770 – Patrick was born according to census records.
- 1818- Listed in Reading twp. Voters List
- 1820- census – Reading twp, Perry Co., Ohio; Patrick Cain, age 45 & up, 2 males under 10; 1 female 10-16; 1 female 16-26, 1 female age 45 and up. 1 engaged in agriculture. note: living next door to John Cain and Lewis Brant Sr. and Lewis Brant Jr.
- 1826- listed in Personal Property Tax List, Barefield twp, N.9; owns 1 horse and 2 neat cattle. (this tax list shows his middle initial as an ‘M’)
- 1827 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 2 cattle
- 1828 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 3 cattle, 1 horse
- 1830 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 1 cattle, 1 horse
- 1830- census of Barefield twp, Perry Co, Ohio; Patrick, age 60-70, 1 male under 5 yrs, 1 male 15-20; 2 female 10-15; 1 female 60-70.
- 1831- Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 2 cattle, 1 horse
- 1832 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 2 cattle, 2 horses
- 1833 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 1 cattle, 1 horse
- 1834 – Personal Property Tax List; Barefield twp, Perry Co Ohio; owns 1 cattle, 1 horse
- 1834 – 1840 — Patrick probably died during this time.
- 1880 – obituary of Ellery Bascom in Jewell Co, Kansas states that his wife is Mahala Kane and she is the daughter of Patrick Cain of Somerset Co Ohio, deceased.
- 1880 – Census record of Mahala Cain in Greene Co, Iowa (she is living with son) she says her father born Ireland and mother born New Jersey
- 1792- year of birth according to census records; born in Pennsylvania.
- 1812 – soldier of War of 1812– note: according to an article in the Republican Tribune, McArthur, Ohio–July 25, 1923. The article reads: “Mrs. George W. Karnes thinks that a man by the name of James Cain or Kain is buried in the old cemetery at McArthur. He was a soldier in the War of 1812” Have been unable to verify that he was in the War.
- 1840- listed in census Reading twp. Perry Co, Ohio- James Cain, Sen., age 40-50, wife age 30-40, no kids listed –is in the vicinity of John Cain and John’s son, James Cain – just 11 names apart on the census list.
- 1850- listed in census Vinton Co, Ohio, Swan twp, page 330; James Cain, age 57, born PA; wife, Sarah, was age 44, b. Ohio; daughter Julian was age 6yrs.
- 1854- October 30; Vol 4, page 45—James Cain bought land from Henry and Belinda Reynolds; lot number 168 in McArthur, Vinton Co. (deed shows James’ middle initial as ‘S’)
- 1854- October 30; sold 40 acres to James Gibson; NW qtr of SE qtr of S27, T12, R17 in Vinton Co. Ohio.
- 1858- Nov. 8; daughter, Julia Cain married Patrick Farley in Vinton Co.
- 1860- census- Vinton Co, Elk twp, Ohio, page 341: age 68, born Pennsylvania, day laborer; wife, Sarah, age 54; daughter Julia A. Varley, age 17.
- 1864- May 15- File Box 102, page 149; Vinton Co. Ohio: James Cain, Last Will and Testament; wife Sarah Ann Cain bequeathed all property- real and personal. J.A. Fellow and David Jones were witnesses.
- 1865- August 23rd; James’ will was probated; only lists wife – Sarah Ann Cain.—nothing went to daughter, Julia Ann Farley.
- 1865- tombstone is in Old McArthur Cemetery, McArthur, Ohio; note: I was in McArthur in 2003 but the stone was very hard to read even with powder and rubbing. Looked like it said: James Cain born Aug 11, 1786; died Mar. 24, 186?. Sarah’s will states that David Rannells is supposed to erect a tombstone for her but since the stone is two sided (one side her name and other side is James name) that may be the reason for James’ birthdate looking like it says 1786. This may have been a guess of the birth year by David Rannells.
- 1870- Census of Vinton Co, Elk twp, McArthur, Ohio: Sarah Kane, age 64; listed by herself.
- 1873- June 7; File Box 102, page 273; Vinton Co. Ohio: Sarah’s will was written leaving all possessions and property to David W. Rannells; also charging him with burying Sarah and erecting a tombstone. Witnesses: Samuel R. Bay of Elk twp,Vinton Co; Alex Ward of McArthur; Wm J Rannells of McArthur.
- 1874- April 14—Vinton Record Newspaper obituary: Sarah A. Kane “Died in McArthur. on the 14th inst. of senel gangrene, Mrs. Sarah A. Kane, Aged 69 years.”
- 1874- Apr 16; Vinton Record, McArthur, OH obituary: “Died. In McArthur on the 14 inst. of senel gangrene. Mrs Sarah A Kane, Aged 69 years.”
- 1874- May 9; Sarah’s will was probated. note: In the probate records of May 8, 1874 it says that Sarah is deceased but the tombstone says death was on April 4 1887. When visiting McArthur we were unable to find a death record for her but since David Rannells had the stone erected he apparently put the wrong date on it. Her and James’ have one tombstone and her info reads Sarah Cain, b. 8-8-1806 d. 4-4-1887.